Pages

Thursday, January 18, 2007

When Hell Freezes Over


There was a time not to long ago, if you said that Al Gore could sell out a 10,000 seat auditorium in Boise, Idaho, most environmentalist would respond with: "When Hell Freezes Over! I guess hell doesn't need to freeze over, just need the polar ice caps to melt.

The bearer of An Inconvenient Truth is coming to Idaho, and guess what? We want him! That's right Idaho; perceived bastion of environmental indifference sold out 10,000 tickets to Al Gore's scheduled speaking engagement, Monday January 22nd.

As reported at newwest.com 10,000 tickets were sold in under 8 hours, that is after the originally planned 1,200 seats sold out in 10 minutes. The New West reported that there were long lines. That was not my experience when I purchased my tickets at the BSU Student Union Building. I arrived about 12:30 pm, took my son to the bookstore to purchase his books for next semester then ambled down to the ticket desk. We did have to stand in line while the two people ahead of us purchased their tickets for the Chieftain's Concert that was held last night. But that only took about 10 minutes.

Since my son is a student at BSU he used his student ID to get free tickets for me and himself, I also purchased 4 extra tickets for a friend's family. So maybe this whole Global Climate Change thing is catching on-- even in Idaho.

Another event took place last week that I never imagined would ever happen that didn't also include ice and hell was that Idaho's former Govenor Dirk Kempthorn, and currently the Secertary of the Interior, suggested last week that polar bears should be added to the threatened species list.

Now our neighbors, Montana is debating a bill in the state legislature concerning carbon sequestering, and other ways to reduce CO2 emissions? Can this be true?

Of course there are still plenty of people that still don't get it. A friend and fellow environmentalist from Montana told me this story about a conversation she had with a person she knew.

Environmental Newbie: "Did you know that there could be another ice age in Europe?'
My Friend: "Are you talking about the North Atlantic conveyor shutting down?"
Environmental Newbie: "Yeah, did you know that it will cause a ice age in Europe?"
My Friend: "Yeah, I do."
Environmental Newbie: "You know what that means don't you?"
My Friend: "No.?"
Environmental Newbie: "Everyone over there will have to move. You know where they will want to go don't you?"
My Friend: "Africa?"
Environmental Newbie: "No, they will want to come here."
My Friend: "Why will they want to come here?"
Environmental Newbie: "Because, they will be having a ice age IN Europe!"
My Friend: "If there is a ice age in Europe, won't there be one here too?
Environmental Newbie: "No."

I guess the concept of GLOBAL climate change is still lost on some. Al Gore need to sell out about 300 million more seats to his lecture then maybe everyone will get it!

No comments:

Post a Comment